Winter is usually the time to make all these delicious things, peanut butter, jams, jellies, pies , carrot and pumpkin Halwas etc. It is that time of the year when the markets are full of colorful veggies especially the leafy greens and delicious apples, raspberries, guavas and strawberries.
Homemade apple jam with a dash of cinnamon or clove is something I love. It is easy to make and tastes somewhat like the apple pie filling. I keep changing the spices I add to it. Clove and black peppercorn taste the best but you can go with a dash of apple pie spice mix or keep it plain and simple. I prefer the natural fruit pectin to do the trick so never add artificial pectin. As for sugar, if you choose sweet, juicy apples you will need very little sugar.
Red Delicious Apples – 1/2 Kg.
Sugar – 1Cup
Lemon Juice – 4 Tablespoon (1 big size lemon is good)
Warm Water – Enough to submerge the apple
Cloves – 3
Black pepper corns – 4
1. Wash, peel, core and cut apples in small cubes. (You can grate them too)
2. Take a heavy bottom pan and put chopped apple in it. Pour just enough water to submerge the apples.
3. Add cloves.
4. Keep the pot on high flame to bring the water to boil and then lower the flame.
5. Keep stirring till apples soften.
6. Remove any foam that forms on top of the mixture.
6. Add sugar once the apples becomes soft. Mash them to get a smooth texture. You can keep the chunks too. I sometimes prefer the chunky jam.
7. Add lemon juice at this point
8. Keep the flame low and stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
9. Cook it till the mixture passes the “setting test” .
The test to check if the jam is ready –
Take a clean glass plate and put a spoonful of jam on it. If the mixture runs on tilting the plate , it is not done but if sticks to the plate and glides slowly then its ready to cool. After cooling it will thicken more. If it seems too thick then add a little water and continue to simmer till it passes the test, if it’s runny the simmer for some more time and then remove for cooling.
10. Cool the mixture and slowly spoon it into sterilized jar. Do try this simple and delicious apple jam without all of the preservatives and additives you find in the store bought items.
Happy Eating !