Here is what the Indian Homemaker and Phonenixritu say:
If you are a woman
Have you ever wanted something that is considered ‘manly’ ? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them all – The remote!
As a kid did you enjoy playing with a bat and a ball?
There was a time when books were considered ‘manly’, women authors had to pretend to be men – would you say books are still rather manly – women should want to embroider and crochet?
If you are a man
Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want – like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects?
As a kid did you ever want to play ‘teacher-teacher’, cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?
So here’s a tag – Please list at least ten things you have ever wanted or done which your gender is not supposed to.
The tag is called ‘My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes’. And you must tag twelve blogging friends
Here is my list of ten things.
1. I hate jewelery (except my small silver ear rings) and all those delicate womanly footwear . Prefer tough sandals, boots, sports shoes, sneakers etc.
2. I hate it when people tell me to dress up like a ” married woman” . I feel like an alien. For me denim and tees, Bermudas and pants are just fine. love to wear men’s shirts teamed with tees. I always check the men’s section for great selections in clothes. Black being my favorite color.
3. I love football, played basketball, marbles, gilli danda, did skids and other stunts on the bicycle as a teenage girl. Love to read about cars , bikes etc. I did my first trek at the age of 13 with YHAI’s Himalayan trekking group.
4. Good girls don’t whistle .. But I do 😉 Does it make me a bad girl ? 😀
5. I love Snakes, Spiders, Raptors. I have handled snakes and find them absolutely facinating… and also love the Dark. Ghost, spirits and all the other creatures of the dark world. Have walked down in a cemetery at night during a visit to the hills. Night does not scare me.
6. I love chocolates for more than one reason but does it make me womanly ? Nah… Try a dark bitter liquor filled one or an orange flavor while you watch a horror or sci-fi movie in the dead of the night. Maybe I am just the perfect blend. 🙂
7. Girls do not climb trees, run about with their skirt flying, have fist fights with boys, or play pranks . That was an unsaid rule when I was a teenager . Rules are meant to be broken 😀 I think lazing on thick branch or hanging from a Tyre attached to a rope tied to the branch is a bliss. Even running along rolling a cycle Tyre with a stick along with the boys was great fun.
8. My boys think that a mom like me is born ones in a thousand years. LOL I take part in all their adventures.. well almost all of them that are possible at my age :D. My Hubby thinks he should have read the finer prints before saying I DO 😀
9. I can do most of the repair work, electrical or otherwise around the house.
10. My MIL thinks that a woman’s job is to look after husband, kids and home. Letting men into the kitchen is a sin I commit and I WILL ROT IN THE FIRES OF HELL for dressing up and behaving in a most unusual fashion. Having drinks, wearing ” odd clothes”, listing to ” angrejee janee jinka na sar hai na pair”, and not looking like a DIL and making men of the house my ” slaves”. My boys and I love to experiment with cuisine so does my hubby when the beastly shadow of his ma is not lurking anywhere around. ( She would have a heart attack if she knew I smoked pot ones or twice and still steal ciggies and try to make the smoke rings I could never make. 🙂 LOL
She hurts my feelings and as far as fires of hell go I am the beloved daughter of satan so hell is my home sweet home.
Strange that what we term as sins against the gender stereotypes are mostly considered as sins by our own gender and not by the other.
All those who find this interesting are tagged . Please leave the link in the comment section if you do the tag . I will be delighted to read your list of sins.